Want to learn more about Alaska’s wilderness or celebrate all it has to offer? Attend a League event listed below, or if nothing is listed on our calendar, host one of your own! Alaska Wilderness League has many “step-by-step tool kit” ideas to help get you started.
Film Screening, Book Signing & Talk Story: Honolulu, HI
September 5th 6:30pm – 8:30pm & September 8th 6:30pm – 8:30pm
RevoluSun at 210 Ward Ave #140, Honolulu, HI 96814
Free and open to the public. Light refreshments provided
Solidarity in Hawai’i with Native Alaska/ Canada Subsistence Cultures
to Protect the Public Arctic Wildlife Refuge
For more information, go to www.mihoaida.com/gwichin Questions? Call 808-342 6244
IDEAS FOR HOSTING YOUR OWN EVENT:
Hosting a house party or movie showing:
One of the best ways to reach a group of people is to talk with them in a casual social setting. Quick tips:
1. Plan your party around a theme – Alaska Wilderness League has DVD “mini-movies” (but also options for feature length films!) to get you started. Our videos on the Tongass National Forest, Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and National Petroleum Reserve-Alaska show the beauty and diversity of these unique landscapes. Each video highlights a special place in Alaska and is under 20 minutes. You can also stream these videos from our YouTube page.
2. Send invitations and plan your party food, refreshments, and be sure to have take-home materials about the special place.
3. The “ASK” is very important – once you have your group’s attention and have them educated they will want to take an action to help. Be sure to have materials on hand so that they can write letters to elected leaders or sign postcards or petitions. (If you’d like us to mail you postcards for folks to sign, please email info[at]alaskawild[dot]org.)
4. HAVE FUN!
Increasing your “Voice” by Tabling and Petition Gathering:
Increasing the voices calling for the protection of wild special places in Alaska can be easy to do through the use of petitions and postcards. Alaska Wilderness League has these pre-printed that you can use. This is not only a very important way to show that there is a lot of support, in every state, for protection – it is also a great way to collect contact information from people to grow the team.
Tabling and petition gathering in public places builds the momentum for permanent protection. “Tabling” is just doing outreach to the general public in a one-on-one fashion – you set up a table in a public venue (with permission!) and provide materials and conversation as people come by.
1. Find a public event with a built in audience – picnics, fairs, or other social gatherings and ask for permission to do outreach.
2. Have a large sign or poster to catch people’s attention and other materials like factsheets and “take-aways” to hand out.
3. Talk with people as they come by about why you care about Alaska special places, plus have an “ask” for them to take action and be a part of the voice for protection. This is where the Petition comes in!
4. HAVE FUN – be sure to mail completed Petitions (or postcards) to Alaska Wilderness League (122 C St. NW, Suite 240, Washington, DC 20001). We can make sure they are hand delivered to your elected leaders Washington DC office.